Based in Wellington, New Zealand, award-winning special effects facility Weta Workshop is known around the world for our work on films like The Lord of the Rings, District 9, and Avatar.
Now, we’ve joined forces with Florida-based technology company Magic Leap to create Dr. Grordbort’s Invaders: the first Mixed Reality Lightfield game built on Magic Leap’s world-changing new wearable tech. Deep within Weta Workshop’s Interactive Studio, we’re traversing a new frontier in gaming, one robot at a time.
We're breaking new ground in games and Mixed Reality, this is your chance to be a part of creating the future!
If we had you at ‘robot’, then read on…
Have you ever longed to disintegrate your tyrannical robot overlord with your trusty raygun? Of course you have, we all have; who needs motorised metal morons telling us what to do with our lives? Well now’s your chance to help thwart the mechanical menace by joining our team here at Weta Workshop and Magic Leap as a Senior Programmer.
This role will report to the Lead Programmer, and will be based in our brand new studio in Wellington, New Zealand.
As a Senior Programmer at Weta Workshop, you will be a part of the core game development team, working in close conjunction with other game programmers, designers and content creators to design, architect and maintain engaging and compelling gameplay systems, proprietary toolsets and in-game features. In addition, you will help to guide programming best practices, liaise with other Magic Leap teams and maybe even lead a strike team or two.
So, what can we offer you? I’m glad you asked! We can promise you that your code will help define the frontiers of a new medium, and if that wasn’t awesome enough - we can offer you the opportunity to work with an experienced team of industry veterans who are currently creating something amazing and truly unique.
- Work with designers, artists and other content creators to design and implement robust, accessible development toolsets based on existing and future requirements.
- Work with game and level designers to conceptualise and create adaptive and scalable gameplay systems as required.
- Assist with defining and improving development pipelines and processes where possible.
- Support optimisation and bug fixing efforts for Invaders.
- Participate in frequent game and content reviews, and be able to suggest potential codebase and development efficiency improvements.
- Train and mentor Junior staff and follow-up on their training plan throughout the year
- At least 5 years of games industry experience, preferably with at least 1 shipped project in a senior programmer capacity.
- Expert knowledge of C# and C++
- Experience with Unity is highly desirable, but not essential.
- Enthusiasm for pushing the limits of VR/AR/MR experiences.
- Team player ready to roll-up their sleeves to help others and deliver the best game ever!
Think you've got what it takes? Please attach your CV and cover letter below, making sure to outline exactly why you'd like to join the Weta Gameshop team. Applications close 5pm Wednesday 15th August 2018.